BCDI Intermediate Course – Summer 2013
I want to be the best dancer I can be!
14 – 18 and/or 21 – 25 January 2013
minimum age: 13 years
This full-time week program is open to dancers who are currently in training who want to expand their skills in the unique genre of Contemporary Dance. The intense program will refine and greatly enhance your contemporary technique. You will work exclusively with EDC’s world-renown dancers who are both masters of their craft and celebrated for being among the best teachers in the industry. As your mentors, they offer you their personal insight, style and techniques in contemporary dance.
During the week, you will
- Warm up through ballet and contemporary classes daily;
- Participate in classes that focus on contemporary techniques such as contact, floor work and release;
- Learn stunning EDC repertoire;
- Engage in the creation of a special ensemble choreography created especially for you; and
- Perform in an intimate, informal showcase for family and friends.
Why should you participate in this program?
Some of the most exciting dance companies in the world are contemporary dance companies. BCDI allows you to really get into the contemporary dance genre and throw away any inhibitions you may have about moving in this way. EDC dancers are highly experienced in teaching contemporary techniques to a range of skill levels and in just one week you will improve your skills in this area significantly. Plus, it’s a lot of fun!
What skill levels do I need?
Training in classical ballet is a strong advantage in understanding contemporary movement. In fact, you will be doing classical ballet classes throughout the week.
It is important the standard of the group is high to ensure we can progress in the week’s program at a reasonable rate and also to inspire all participants in your group. Therefore, it is desirable you are at an RAD level of Intermediate Foundation or above (or the equivalent of).
If you do not have classical technique, don’t worry, if you have other dance experience with a high standard of movement in jazz or hip hop, you may also benefit greatly from this program.
Why is there an application process?
We find we create a better learning experience if all the participants are at a similar level. To achieve the goals of the week, the standard of skill of the participants needs to be reasonable. This is an intensive training week that requires a level of fitness and skill so you get the most benefit.
What may I get out of it?
This will be the seventh Brisbane Contemporary Dance Intensive. Following each previous course, we have asked for feedback from participants. The overwhelming feedback covers a range of positive outcomes:
- It will inspire you about contemporary dance
- It will challenge and extend your personal practice and skills
- It will bring you in contact with other aspiring dancers from around the country
- It will give you the opportunity to be mentored and nurtured from highly experienced professional dancers who are at the top of their field.
- It will give you insight into what a career in dance may entail.
or Download application form and submit via post/fax/email.
For further information:
To stay informed about BCDI, join our EDC mailing list.
Call 07 3257 4222